Spoonflower

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Golden Rippy - Cinnabar Sky Top Konstant Krafter Natural Dream Catcher

I received a strike off from Konstant Krafters - Natural Dream Catcher. This is a beautiful print of feathers and dream catchers is so pretty. I decided to pair it with a brown gold glitter flecked jersey knit I bought in the Dallas Fabric District for $1/yard. This print is available for pre-order from March 11th - March 21st. Pre-orders can be placed through the website at www.KonstantKraftersFabric.com Also, join the Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Konstantkrafter/

I decide to use a new to me pattern - The Cinnabar Sky Dress & Top by Golden Rippy.

I loved the look of this pattern and thought it would be very flattering on me. I went by my measurements and found that I needed a medium top, but a large for my hips. I also saw, that the waist was going to be low on me, and decided to raise it up.

When I cut my pattern, I cut it at the large cutting line up to the arm pit. I moved the waist up about an inch and put my pattern together. I found it interesting, that when I did, the medium cut line above the waist now lined up perfectly with the large below the waist. How perfectly divine! This made grading the size super easy since the waist is typically where I make the transition when grading between sizes. I also added about 2 inched to the length of the top, since I did not want my top shorter, and preferred it longer.


Once I had my pattern adjusted, I cut out all my pieces. Here they are.


Here is a closeup of the dream catcher fabric. The feathers are pretty and I love the little details in the design.


First the 2 overlapping pieces are attached at the shoulder.


Then the pieces were hemmed. The entire neckline was hemmed from one piece to the other. Then the bottoms of the overlapping pieces were hemmed.


My coverstitch makes it look so nice.


Then The overlapping pieces are laid out to line them up and baste the sides together.


Pinned, I mean clipped, into place.


Now for the lower front piece. The pattern is designed to be nursing friendly, but the access areas can easily be sewn together. So the front lower piece is shaped with a scoop. It attaches to the sides of the overlapped pieces at the top.


Then the overlap lays on top of it and the sides are sewn together.


Now for the sleeves.


Sleeves are hemmed and attached.


Last step was to hem it. I love this handy iron-able hemming guide my sweet friend Sharon gave me. I use it all the time.


After I tried it on, I saw immediately that the top across the bust was way too big. There was no easy way to take it in, so I decided to put in in the auction at Operation Santa that was benefiting a single mom who is trying to care for her son that is six months into treatment for cancer and has to move within a month (under very unfortunate circumstances).

I did have to sew the top together in a few places to keep everything together, but still kept it nursing friendly.

Here are a few photos of me in it.