Spoonflower

Friday, October 16, 2015

KZJO Studio - Pattern Test - Cosette

Here's another pattern test I did for Kaysie at KZJO Studio. This is the Cosette and it's a really cute semi fitted top perfect for fall.  Buy Cosette HERE. Use the coupon code "Cosette20" for 20% off the regular price of $9 through October 20th.

The Cosette is perfect for flannel and other fall wovens. It's unique in that the side panels are cut on the bias which adds some stretch and interest to the top. The wide v-neck is great to wear over another top or camisole.

Kaysie had some challenges with this pattern and the pictures that follow are not exactly how the final pattern turned out.

The first version I made was from a gauzy/flannel like woven. I'm not sure where I got this fabric, but have had it a long time, and never knew what to do with it. It was perfect for this top.

Here are all my pieces cut out.


First the front and back are sewn together at the shoulders.


The pattern has 2 options for finishing the neckline - binding or facing. For my first version I decided to do a binding since I had some ready made Anna Maria Horner binding in my stash and it went well with my fabric. Here is my binding pinned in place.


Sewing the binding on.


Sewn on.


Now to trim the excess.


Turned in and topstitched.  The bottom of the wide v neck was a little tricky.


Now to sew on the side panels to the front.


And then sew them to the back piece.


Then to put some basting stitches along the top of the sleeves.


Then I sewed the seams of the sleeves and then attached them to the top.


Here it is before I hemmed the sleeves and the top.




Here I am in the finished top. This one needs a tank top under it.



For the next try - I used a green and white light weight woven I purchased for $1/yard at Golden D'or during one of their inventory sales. Here are all my pieces.


I id the facing on this one. Here are my facing pieces.


Here my facings are sewn together and the front and back of the top are sewn together at the shoulders.


The facing is pinned in place and sewn on.


The facing was then turned to the inside and ironed in place.


Side panels were sewn onto the front.


Then sewn to the back.


Stay stitches on the sleeve tops.


Sewed the sleeve seams and added them to the top.


Here I am in the second try. This one turned out much better. The final version of the pattern includes a few more tweaks that make it a perfect fit.








I made one more Cosette that you don't see here. I'll reveal it later on when Kaysie does the Cosette for the pattern of the month. I already have another Cosette cut out and ready to sew. This is a pretty quick sew and I definitely prefer the facing over the binding for the neckline - but to each his own.