Spoonflower

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sew Much Fabric - Halloween Strike Offs

I received 2 strike offs from Sew Much Fabric for their Halloween Round. To order these prints, join the group on Facebook at facebook.com/groups/sewmuchfabric/

Sew Much Fabric prints on 95% Cotton 5% Spandex Knit. The pre-order price is $20/yard.

I received a child size panel of the Wolf Man. I used Butterick Pattern 5286 as my template for making a boys top.



The panel was a little smaller than what I needed so I added the fabric that I was using as a coordinate to the top and bottom of the panel. My coordinate is a black & yellow striped knit I purchased from Fabric Stache (fabricstacheshop.com/). This was sold as flawed yardage, but I saw very few flaws.

The front panel was not wide enough either for the boys size small I was making. Instead of adding the stripes to the sides, I just cut the back piece with about 3 inches of the front piece added to the sides. That made the back piece wrap around to the front.

This is a very easy sew and I was done in no time. Unfortunately, I either didn't take pictures of the process or I can't remember where they are.

Here are finished photos.



Next I sewed up the Classic Monsters strike off.


For this one, I went with one of my favorite patterns - Simplicity 1720A.


I decided to pair the print with solid black and to do the sleeves in black lace. Here are all my pieces.


I sewed the front and back together at the sides. Then I sewed my gathering stitches on the front and back.


Next I sewed the arms. Doing the dart was tricky. It was hard to see my marks on the black lace. I know they are not perfect, but they will do the trick.


I then wanted to serge the sides of the sleeves. Since this is lace and sergers have a lot of little moving parts, I placed a strip of tearaway stabilizer under the lace before serging to make sure nothing got snagged. You can still see the interfacing in the seam, but after I was it, most of it should come out.

Then I serged the sleeves onto the body. I kept the fabric on the bottom and the lace on top when serging the rest. I only had to use the stabilizer when serging 2 layers of lace.



Then I made the yoke.


Now to sew the yoke to the body.



Here's the neckline.


And here I am in my Classic Monsters top.  



If you enjoy my blog, like my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/capturecraftcook and get notifications for any new blog posts.

Thanks!